Listen Live
HomeNewsGeorgian College president ‘disappointed’ by cap on international study permits

Georgian College president ‘disappointed’ by cap on international study permits

Kevin Weaver, president and chief executive officer of Georgian College, is “concerned” about how the recently introduced cap on international students will affect local employers, communities, and students.

“I am disappointed that the government has introduced these policy changes, clearly without consultation to understand the far-reaching and damaging impacts that will follow,” he says.

Weaver’s statement comes days after Marc Miller, minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship, announced that 2024’s cap on international study permits is expected to result in approximately 360,000 approved permits, which is a 35 percent decrease from 2023.

The limit for 2025 will be assessed towards the end of this year.

- Advertisement -

Miller said the change allows the government to address institutions that charge high tuition fees for international students while increasing the number they enroll.

Georgian College continues to work with the government regarding the implications of the announcement regarding the cap on international study permit applications,” says Weaver. “We care deeply about providing all of our students with an unrivalled, positive experience during their studies. In addition, we support policies that protect students and ensure that those who choose to study in Canada are well-prepared even before their arrival.”

Weaver says around 6,300 of the college’s nearly 12,500 full-time students come from 86 countries.

“The only way we’ve been able to deliver the labour force and programs that our communities and employers rely on was to increase international enrolment, especially given the pressures facing some of our rural and northern communities in Central Ontario,” he continues. “Without access to that critical talent pipeline, their organizations just can’t compete and their continued operation is jeopardized.”

Georgian College has eight campuses, including one in Bracebridge.

A similar statement was released Wednesday by Canadore College.

“We all agree, that institutions that are exploiting students should cease to operate,” reads the college’s statement. “However, this blunt instrument will penalize those institutions that have responsibly managed their international enrolments, maintained academic quality, and successfully delivered the Canadian post-secondary education experience to international students.” 

With files from Richard Coffin

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading