Listen Live
HomeNewsPSHS’s first ever Tech and Trades Showcase in the books

PSHS’s first ever Tech and Trades Showcase in the books

Industry partners and students came together recently for Parry Sound High School’s Tech and Trades Showcase. 

School officials say the event saw industry representatives visit the school for a tour of the school’s construction, automotive and culinary arts classrooms. 

Officials say they had discussions with teachers about skilled trades education and career pathways. The tour was followed by an opportunity for industry partners to showcase their businesses directly to students.  

Officials say the idea for the showcase came last year when the school hosted a construction and transportation dinner after the development of their construction and mining specialist high skills major program.   

- Advertisement -

Blair Cousins, hospitality and culinary arts teacher and technology team leader, says students had the opportunity to talk directly to potential employers. 

“Students were able to view presentations that will inspire questions and develop opportunities for co-op placements, Ontario youth apprenticeship program (OYAP) training and future meaningful well-paying careers,” Cousins said. 

NNDSB Trustee Jeanie Fuscaldo, who helped to facilitate the Tech and Trades Showcase, said that there has been a decline in skilled tradespeople across all sectors that has been rapidly increasing over the past decade.  

“One of our guest attendees said it best ‘10 years ago you would be coming to us for a job, today we find ourselves in a position where we are competing to hire and retain you, the employees.’ By providing our students with information and direction about a variety of pathways into the trades, we’re helping remove barriers and open doors they may not have known existed,” Fuscaldo said. 

Cousins described the showcase as a ‘second step’ in a program of engagement in the trades which will grow to include students as young as Grade 7. 

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading