â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsMPP Norm Miller joined Education Minister in a virtual visit to Parry...

MPP Norm Miller joined Education Minister in a virtual visit to Parry Sound HS

The local MPP Norm Miller joined Minister of Education Stephen Lecce in a virtual visit to Parry Sound Highschool on Tuesday.

Miller and Lecce’s virtually visited the school to check out the results of Ontario’s Specialist High Skills Major program at the School.

They joined Mr. Cousin’s Culinary and Tourism class along with the High School’s Principal Dawn Buckland.

“The theme of the day was preparing the students for the future job market,” Parry-Sound Muskoka MPP Norm Miller explains.

He says they learned about the program and how Buckland, Cousins and other teachers at the school implemented it to benefit the students.

- Advertisement -

“It allowed us to see first hand the benefits of these Specialist High Skills Major programs,” Lecce tells the MyParrySoundNow.com newsroom.

He says the program was expanded in fall 2019 with $10 million injected into it.

Lecce explains the funding for the programs comes from the Ministry of Education.

The aim is to encourage more “hands-on learning” with the skilled trades.

“We have a significant gap and current labour market shortage for what is really good-paying jobs in the province of Ontario,” Lecce says. “We want to make sure young people know that these jobs are available to them and we want to help them get there.”

He estimates that this year, one in five new jobs in Ontario will be in the skilled trade sector.

He adds that getting more young people involved in the skilled trades starts when they’re in school.

Miller agrees, pointing out that schools and Colleges need to be involved with these programs and play a big role.

“I think most people that grow up in Muskoka or Parry Sound would love to stay in the area if they can do so and earn enough money to raise a family and buy a house and all that,” Miller says.

He adds that right now there’s a “huge demand” for skilled trade workers in his riding, especially those in the culinary and tourism industry.

Lecce says his goal – and Premier Doug Ford’s – is to ensure students have the skills they need to succeed in life, and echos Miller comments saying that starts when they’re in school.

Written by Mathew Reisler

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading