Listen Live
HomeNewsNew Interactive Platform Launched For High School Students By NNDSB

New Interactive Platform Launched For High School Students By NNDSB

A new interactive online learning platform is now available for high school students in Parry Sound.

On Friday, the Near North District School Board announced the upcoming introduction of the Skills Catalyst Project.

Funded by the government of Ontario, the province awarded a $96,220 grant to the NNDSB to develop this platform in collaboration with community partners.

The project is the first of its kind in the NNDSB community..

- Advertisement -

Board Chair Jay Aspin says the board is committed to re-establishing more realistic, pragmatic relationships with community partners.

“Doing so will enable us to respond to community needs to create more meaningful conduits for our students to acquire the skills required in today’s world,” Aspin said. “We believe this specially designed, tailored platform will produce a multitude of opportunities which will benefit both our students and local employers and community organizations.”

The resource – which was developed by NNDSB specialist teachers, will provide students with an opportunity to learn both interpersonal and technical skills that are highly valued by modern employers.

The training will be provided in partnership with local businesses and community organizations.

Since this progressive learning model has been designed for blended learning (online and experiential), students can continue to learn and develop these skills despite the challenges presented by COVID-19.

This unique platform has been designed to meet specific goals – including providing students with specialized skill development opportunities to enhance their employment prospects.

The program also supports traditionally underrepresented groups by encouraging engagement through workshops and supporting local labour market development.

Director of Education Craig Myles says they’re very pleased to offer these opportunities to students.

“In collaboration with our community partners, we are empowering our students to pursue their dreams and find meaningful and fulfilling employment. Our community will benefit from this partnership as well, as the skills that are being developed are the ones that are needed by local employers,” Myles said. “This will aid in the retention of talent in our community and grow further opportunities.”

The community partners involved in the project’s development include Canadore College, Labour Market Group, Nipissing University, North Bay Regional Health Centre, Voyageur Airways and YES Employment.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading