â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsParry Sound highschool graduate receives $100,000 scholarship

Parry Sound highschool graduate receives $100,000 scholarship

PARRY SOUND, ON-A Parry Sound High School graduate has been selected as the recipient of the Schulich Leader Scholarship, equaling a total of $100,000.

Natalie Loewen, who is on her way to study Engineering at Western University in the Fall, was chosen by her school’s selection committee to receive the grant due to her “outstanding academic achievements and contributions to the school and broader community.”

The Schulich Leadership Scholarships support the best and brightest students to become the next entrepreneurial-minded, technological innovators, and Loewen is also the first nominee from the Parry Sound High School to win this prestigious scholarship. 

When asked about how it feels to win this award, she shared the story of the moment she received the news. 

- Advertisement -

“I was checking my email at the end of the day like I usually do. I had received an email confirming a spot in residence congratulating me on being a Schulich Leader winner. I was stunned for a moment because I hadn’t received anything from the Admissions Office. I searched my emails and couldn’t find it anywhere, so I reached out to the school first thing the next morning. As it turns out, my confirmation had been sent to a different email address. That’s when I got very excited! My whole family was happy for me, and my mom even baked me a congratulations cake on the spot!”

Loewen said that as an obvious sizeable monetary award, it would cover all the costs of her undergraduate degree essentially.

“The other aspect of this award that I am really appreciative of is the opportunity for networking. I am hopeful that this will lead to a summer research position that can ultimately lead to an internship. I had an online meeting with the dean of the university last week, and he suggested that there may even be the possibility for opportunities usually provided only to upper-year students. Those are the sorts of opportunities the Schulich provides that I am really looking forward to.”

Through the Schulich Foundation, these entrance scholarships were awarded to 100 high school graduates this year that are enrolling in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics undergraduate program in Canada.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading