â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsAfter putting in the work all year, an upcoming skills competition will...

After putting in the work all year, an upcoming skills competition will put local high school students to the test

High school students from across Parry Sound are putting their skills to the test. The Near North District School Board is taking part in the Skills Ontario Qualifying Competitions, where students will compete in four popular events; individual carpentry, culinary arts, TV and video production, and welding. Hundreds of high school students from across the province will be competing at seven different colleges, including Georgian and Canadore College.

Manager of Communications at Skills Ontario, Anne Ramsay, says over 400 students will be taking part in the competition.

At the Skills Ontario Competition in May students will compete for medals, cash, and job offers. Ramsay says the competitions are a chance for students to develop their skills.

She says students prepare for the competition in their classes throughout the year, and they get excited to showcase their work on a regional, and then a provincial, level.

Skills Ontario aims to partner with school boards, colleges, businesses, governments, and labour groups to help youth develop skills for a career in the trades and technology industries. The qualifying competition is happening on April 7th, from 8:30am to 5:30pm.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading