Listen Live
HomeNewsFire department fines hotel owner for smoke detectors with bad batteries

Fire department fines hotel owner for smoke detectors with bad batteries

- Advertisement -

One hotel owner’s hopes of getting out of paying a fine went up in smoke at Parry Sound town council.

Ken Patel, owner of Canada Best Value Inn & Suites on Joseph Street spoke to council about a fine he was given by the fire department for not replacing batteries in his smoke detectors. According to Patel the fire department is wasting its time with their fire inspections, he added that he was fined $10,000 last year for a similar incident with smoke detectors.

Fire Chief Dave Thompson says he has zero tolerance for smoke alarms not working. He added that the Parry Sound Fire Department checks businesses yearly for working alarms.

Fire Code is also provincial legislation, which leaves town council unable to make exceptions. Thompson says that ensures rules are applied to everyone in a consistent manner.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Continue Reading