Listen Live
HomeNewsContributions from Parry Sound and area youth have been recognized by Bobby...

Contributions from Parry Sound and area youth have been recognized by Bobby Orr

Youth in the Parry Sound area have been recognized for their contributions to the community.  On Saturday, the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame held their very first Youth Recognition Ceremony with Bobby Orr himself meeting the youth finalists and awarded the category winners.  Orr says this celebration is different than the inductions of the past because this is just the beginning of each youth’s story and looking at what they’ve done already, they will all have many more accomplishments in the future.  He says people often say the youth of today are lazy and they say we have a dark future, but looking at what local youth have done already, they are wrong and we have a very, very bright future.

Grace Crocker and Steven Shurr won in the Under-11 category, Phoenix Titley and siblings Austin, Ethan, and Skylar Penfold won in the 12-13 category, Kiera Lynn Gibson and Nick Brown won in the 14-year-old category, Rachel Reevie and Aiden Dudas won in the 15-year-old category, Lindsey Thompson and Reggie Smyth won in the 16-year-old category, and Charis Foster and Keenan Krause win in the 17-year-old category.

For a list nominees in each category and their contributions, see below.

Under 11 – Girls

Skylar Penfold – Since the age of 19 months old, Skylar has been working alongside her brothers to raise over $100,000 to put back into the community including the West Parry Sound Health Centre.

- Advertisement -

Meghan Kachuk – Meaghan is a well know face around Parry Sound Non-Profit Housing, always eager to lend a helping hand.

Grace Crocker – Grace is an accomplished public speaker taking her to an impressive 2nd place finish in the Royal Canadian Legion Zone competition

Under 11 – Boys

Steven Shurr – Steven, born with Spina Bifida has devotes his time to raise funds for our community, including participating raising over $8,000 for Sick Kids Hospital selling Blizzards at Dairy Queen this past Summer.

Ethan Penfold – The second youngest of the three Penfold siblings, Ethan has worked alongside his family to collect and return bottles and cans to raise funds for their community.

Trent Hodgson – Trent has been rated as a prodigy of the Central Georgian Bay Chess Association and has been invited to play in the Ontario Youth Chess Championship for 2016.

12-13-year-old Girls

Phoenix Titley – Phoenix is a committed volunteer with Parry Sound Non-Profit and involved in Tim Hortons Leadership Camp.

Oriea Bergen – Oriea is another well-known volunteer in our community, helping with the recycling and PA day activities with Parry Sound Non Profit.

12-13-year-old Boys

Rush Panipak – Rush has a strong sense of community and volunteers weekly with his community recycling program as well as assists with younger children.

Austin Penfold – In 2009 Austin Penfold brainstormed with his grandfather, way to raise funds for new playground equipment for his school and the rest, as they say is history. Over $100,000 raised along with a tremendous environmental impact of recycling in his community.

Luka Cigler – Luka is an accomplished athlete and honour student. From all Ontario Cross Country to being the captain of his rep hockey team, Luka is truly a leader.

14-year-old Girls

Kiara Henry – Kiara is a devoted and accomplished athlete including Baseball, Canoeing Volleyball and one of only 2 grade 9 girls on the Parry Sound High School Varsity Basketball Team.

Hailey Newton-Smith – Hailey is a talented young artist in many media, including costume design, painting, sculpting and many more. She created the Parry Sound high school mascot. Hailey is also a dedicated volunteer in our community.

Kierra Lynn Gibson – Kierra is a Bantam AA hockey player. She was the only female on her pewee and atom teams. She volunteers with youth and elderly and has won awards for her fundraising efforts.

Kacie Alves – Kacie is an accomplished and award winning figure skater. She teaches skating to our younger set and is an honour roll student.

14-year-old Boys

Tomaz Cigler – Tomaz is an honour student, and a great athlete. He excels at all sports including soccer, running, golf and hockey. He is a volunteer in his community and raises funds for our local hospital.

Nick Brown – Nick is a dedicated worker whose perseverance has left an impression on all who know him. This year Nicks hockey team had a challenging year, winning only one of 40 games, however, Nick was able to turn this into a positive experience

15-year-old Girls

Aurora Corbett – Aurora is a very successful dancer, volunteer and honour roll student. She traveled with the Canadian Nation Dance Team to Poland in 2014 and has been a junior Toronto Argonauts cheerleader. Aurora is part of the Duke of Edinburgh Award program at Rosseau Lake college.

Rachel Reevie – Rachel is an avid curler and golfer. She is a regular volunteer at the Curling club and participates in fundraising events to support Junior curling.

Katelynne Hinksman – Katelynne is a leader in fitness and weight training exemplifying determination and excellence. She is a straight A student and has over 400 hours of volunteer experience.

15-year-old Boys

Aidan Dudas – Aidan is an outstanding athlete across many sports but is most noted for his hockey prowess being picked for the Canadian Youth Olympic team. Aidan has been selected as the Ontario Minor Hockey Association s player of the year

Darryn Hryrcyna – Darryn is a skilled and award winning chef, recently competing and placing first in the Niagara College Culinary Competition. He is also a successful jump rope athlete, competing with Georgian Jumpers in two national competitions.

Raymond Smyth – Raymond is an athlete, artist and student who has found success in all three fields. He volunteers his time at the hospital, his church, and is a bronze level recipient in the Duke of Edinburgh program

16-year-old Girls

Bridgit Haines – Bridgit is an honour roll student and has received the Spiritual Leadership and Christian Spirit awards. She is an accomplished and award winning dancer, completing in several worldwide competitions. She is a peer tutor and will attend the mission to Tanzania and 2017.

Lindsey Thompson – Lindsey is a leader and member of the Parry Sound 4H chapter. She is a volunteer at Lakeland Long Term care and the curling club.

Gracie Crafts – Gracie is the co-president of Student Council and a dedicated leader. She is a talented athlete and involved in organizing the annual Parry Sound High School Pow Wow

16-year-old Boys

A.J. Rahusaar and Jake Neale – These gentlemen displayed great citizenship and a sense of community by assisting police, on the ATVs, in the search and locating a missing three-year-old girl.

Reginald Smyth – Reginald is an honour roll student and leader. He had completed is bronze and silver levels in the Duke of Edinburgh program and is an active volunteer in his church.

Matjaz Cigler – Matjaz in a competitive cross country skier and devout volunteer. He made the national dragon boat team in 2015, receiving 9 medals in world competition.

17-year-old Girls

Brittany Armstrong – Brittany is a member of the Specialist High Skills Major Program at Parry Sound High School. She is a committed volunteer in our community with involvement with Belvedere Place and the Walk Against Violence. She helped organize the 2015 Change the world event as well as a meal on Wheels Program.

Emma Lewis – Emma has a passion for horsemanship and hockey. She teaches the younger set to ride horses in her spare time and organized a fundraiser hockey game against the OPP to raise over $800 for the Breakfast Club.

Charis Foster – Charis is a musician, dancer, student senate rep, volunteer and prominent member of the community. She is a member of both the Arts Council as well as the Me to We program at her school.

17-year-old Boys

Keenan Krause – Keenan is a well-known leader at Parry Sound High School. He is president of school Council and a Student Ambassador. He is also a volunteer at VCARS Crisis Response Team.

Jason Meadowcroft – Jason is a devoted student and past athlete until health issues prevented him from continuing. His continued positive attitude earned him an Honorary Teammate Award with the OMHA Brokerlink Midget team.

Justin Dawson – Justin is a driven athlete and student, participating in running, Nordic skiing, track and field, hockey, soccer and basketball. While not necessarily the top athlete, Justin perseveres and practices, earning the respect of all around him.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading