Listen Live
HomeNewsParry Sound Public School thankful for community’s support of Breakfast Club

Parry Sound Public School thankful for community’s support of Breakfast Club

Supporting youth in the community has never been easier, or tastier. 

Along with supporting the Salvation Army, proceeds of locally sold smile cookies also benefit a local school’s breakfast program. 

Shannon Mahon, Principal at Parry Sound Public School, says the school has pancake breakfast once a week, which serves about 250 of the 420 students that go there.  

“We have snack coolers that go into the classrooms every day that are part of our breakfast program that have things like yogurt and dried cereal, granola bars and some fruit in it. [The aim of the program is] to make sure that our students are starting their days with full tummies,” Mahon says. 

- Advertisement -

She says The Breakfast Club has been around since she came to the school five years ago. “We had to take a break from the hot breakfast portion of it during COVID, but our snack baskets/coolers continued throughout,” she adds. 

Mahon says this is the third year Tim Horton’s Smile Cookie campaign is donating part of its proceeds to the school in support of its breakfast program with over $6000 raised last year. 

“[These funds] mean that we are able to buy fruits and vegetables, the ingredients for our hot breakfast. We provide milk to our students during hot breakfast. So, all the supplies necessary to ensure our students are getting a nutritious start to their day,” she says. 

Mahon says along with the smile cookie campaign, the breakfast program is funded through donations from other area organizations, and some families as well.  

She says the school is very appreciative of the community’s support as well as their investment in its students. 

The campaign kicked off on Monday and runs until May 7.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading