With an increase in population during the summer time, it puts pressure on our emergency room. The West Parry Sound Health Centre is out with some tips for visitors and locals to help keep everyone safe and wait times down. They encourage visitors to see their family doctors ahead of time and make sure all shots, vaccinations, and medications are all up to date. There are also tips for everyone to stay safe this summer including wearing sunscreen and a hat, drink plenty of water, wear proper footwear, avoid snakes, and wear appropriate safety gear such as helmets and life jackets. Here is a complete list of tips to ease the amount of people at the emergency room this summer:
• Make arrangements to visit your family doctor, family health team, nurse practitioner well in advance of your vacation or time at the cottage.
• Ensure your tetanus shots, vaccinations, medication refills are up to date.
• Wear sunscreen and a hat.
• Drink plenty of water (avoid dehydration and heat stroke).
• Wear proper footwear (avoid slips, strains, and sprains).
• Be aware of your surroundings (avoid snake bites).
• Wear your personal flotation device (PFD) when in and around the water regardless of your age or swimming abilities.