This week marks Emergency Preparedness Week. Tiziana Baccego Rosa with Hydro One Media Relations says many people were left in the dark over the past year because of nine unprecedented storms that hit Ontario and suggests everyone put together a emergency preparedness kit.
Rosa suggests including the following items in your 72-hour emergency kit:
· Water (recommend 2L per person/day)
· Canned or dried food that won’t spoil
· A manual can opener
· Windup or battery powered flashlight
· Windup or battery powered radio
· Batteries for your flashlight and radio
· Any medical items you require
· First Aid Kit
· Hydro One’s emergency power outage hotline number – 1-800-434-1235 and download our power outage app to your smart phone.
She also suggests having at least one corded phone at home because a cordless phone will not work in a power outage. And finally, she suggests keeping your emergency kit in a backpack and make sure everyone in your home knows where to find it.